Scroll Top

How to Report Unpaid Wages in Ohio?


When unpaid wages occur, whether knowingly or unknowingly by an employer, it can be especially stressful for you as an employee. Once you realize that you have unpaid wages, such as through unpaid overtime pay or through work hours that have been rounded down, you may be wondering how to report unpaid wages or overtime in Ohio.

Below, we share how who, and where to report unpaid wages in Ohio.

Disclaimer: The following is not legal advice; it is general information meant to inform. Reach out to our team at Coffman Legal to schedule a free consultation.

Who to Report Unpaid Wages to?

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) is a federal law that establishes the minimum requirements for certain pay like minimum wage, overtime pay, and recordkeeping employment standards for employees who work both in the private sector and in local, state, and federal governments.

The FLSA is overseen by the Wage and Hour Division (WHD), meaning that any employees covered by the FLSA can make an unpaid wage complaint to the WHD. However, we would strongly suggest that you consult with an unpaid wages lawyer before doing so. If you elect to retain your own private unpaid wages attorney, you will have an advocate who is working to pursue all possible damages, including liquidated damages, attorney’s fees, and other damages that may be available to you under state laws.

Ohio residents can also file an unpaid wage complaint with the Ohio Department of Commerce.  However, again, we would encourage Ohio residents with potential unpaid wages issues to contact an Ohio unpaid wages or unpaid overtime lawyer first before making a complaint with the Ohio Department of Commerce. An experienced Ohio unpaid overtime attorney will provide a comprehensive analysis of the various ways that your employer may be violating federal or state wage and hour laws and can assist you in pursuing all available damages related to your unpaid wages or unpaid overtime.

Where to Report Unpaid Wages?

The best place to bring unpaid wage complaints is too experienced unpaid wages and an unpaid overtime lawyer. The unpaid overtime attorney can assess what possible legal claims you have under the FLSA and state law and can then advise of the best avenue forward. The unpaid wages lawyer will be able to advise you whether you have a legitimate claim for unpaid wages or overtime and will also be able to inform you of possible avenues for addressing such claims.

By speaking with an experienced unpaid overtime lawyer before reporting unpaid wages, you will understand the various avenues and possible damages that may be available to you. They can provide expert insight and help you through the process of pursuing an unpaid wages claim.

How to Report Unpaid Wages in Ohio

Now that you know who and where to report, let’s take a look at how to report unpaid wages in Ohio.

  1. Consider consulting an experienced wage and hour attorney before you report unpaid wages. They will understand the laws, both state and federal levels, that apply to your case, and they can help you in seeking back pay – the amount of income you earned but were not paid for.
  2. Be sure to have basic contact information at the ready when you go to file. This will typically include your own name, phone number, and address, your employer’s name, address, and phone number, and who your supervisors are.
  3. Have any important details about your pay rate and the kind of work you do on hand

If there is no kind of record of your pay or hours, start keeping your own record as soon as possible. This can include the time you start and stop working, any kind of breaks you take, and each time you get paid. Include the amount you are paid and the dates.

  1. Other important information to have may include your employment agreement, company policies, and pay stubs.
  2. Once you have the needed information, you should contact an unpaid wages lawyer. If you are unable to locate all of the helpful information, that is entirely fine and it will not affect whether your claim can proceed. There are many laws that require employers to provide things such as payroll and timekeeping records to employees and former employees upon request.

Keep in mind that each case of unpaid wages might differ. This can depend on if you are classified as a non-exempt or an exempt employee and the type of unpaid wage violations you suspect.

This is why it is best to seek counsel from experienced unpaid wages and unpaid overtime lawyers to assess your situation and determine how best to proceed.

Consult with a Columbus Unpaid Wages Attorney

Unpaid wage violations are a big cause of concern – whether they were intentional on the part of your employer or not. Taking steps to pursue the recovery of unpaid wages or unpaid overtime can be important for you in seeking compensation that you are rightfully owed.

If you believe your employer is withholding wages, you can book a free and confidential consultation with a Columbus unpaid wages attorney at Coffman Legal, LLC.

You can connect with the Coffman Legal team today over the phone at 614-949-1181 or through our online contact form. We can look over your case and determine if you have grounds for a legal claim and help you with the process of pursuing unpaid wages and maximizing your return.


Recent Posts