Canton Wage & Hour Attorney
The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and associated wage and hour regulations have been in effect since 1938, but statistics indicate that many employers still do not comply with their legal duties. The US Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division (WHD) reports that it finds legal violations in more than 21,000 cases every year, a shocking figure until you realize the positive implications: Almost 288,400 employees were able to recover get back wages for their employer’s misconduct with respect to wage and hour laws.
At Coffman Legal, LLC, our team is dedicated to providing experienced legal representation for employees who suffer hardship due to employer noncompliance with FLSA and related Ohio wage and hour laws. We can assist with all aspects of the legal process, so please contact our firm to set up a free consultation with one of our Canton wage and hour attorneys. Some background information may also be useful.
Common Types of Wage and Hour Violations
There are many ways Ohio companies defy the law, whether intentionally, through a mistake, or negligent recordkeeping. Some common violations include:
- Noncompliance with Ohio minimum wage regulations that require payment of $8.80 per hour for 2021;
- Unpaid overtime at 1.5 times an employee’s wage when he or she works more than 40 hours in a week;
- Misclassifications of employees as independent contractors or exempt workers, which affects the requirement to pay overtime;
- Nonpayment of prevailing wages for construction workers and trade laborers working on public improvement projects; and
- Violations of wage laws for tipped employees, such as improper tip credits and unlawful tip pools.
Your Remedies as an Employee
The Ohio Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Wage & Hour Administration handles disputes over wage and hour issues, so you can file a complaint to obtain amounts for minimum and prevailing wages. However, you also have the option of taking your case to court and suing for damages. Our Canton wage and hour lawyers at Coffman Legal, LLC can assist with the litigation process and essential tasks, such as:
- Investigating and gathering evidence to support your claim;
- Drafting the complaint to initiate litigation, in which you allege facts that amount to violation of Ohio wage and hour laws;
- Attending court appearances, status conferences, and motion hearings;
- Engaging in discovery to obtain documents and other information regarding your employer’s misconduct;
- Taking depositions of witnesses; and
- Representing you at trial.
Throughout the process, we will advise you on the potential for fair, reasonable settlement. Our goal is to recover all amounts owed to you, including unpaid wages, back pay, attorneys’ fees, and costs.
Contact Our Canton Wage and Hour Attorneys to Discuss Your Options
If you have concerns about your employer’s failure to comply with FLSA and Ohio employment laws, it is critical to retain skilled legal counsel for assistance with your legal remedies. Our team at Coffman Legal, LLC is ready to fight for your rights, so please contact call 614-949-1181 or go online to schedule a free consultation with a knowledgeable Canton wage and hour lawyer.