At the law office of Coffman Legal, LLC, our Youngstown unpaid wage violations attorneys know how frustrating it is to be denied wages to which you are entitled. But in addition to it being frustrating, it’s also illegal. If your employer has wrongfully denied you wages in violation of state or federal laws, our Youngstown unpaid wage violations attorneys can help. Reach out to us today for a free consultation and an overview of your options.

Common Types of Wage Violations

We represent workers who have been victims of a wide number of wage violation types. Some of the most common types of wage violations we see include–

  • Failing to pay overtime. Under federal law, employees in Youngstown are entitled to overtime pay when they work over 40 hours in a consecutive seven-day period. Overtime pay is assessed at the rate of 1.5 times a workers’ usual hourly rate. For example, if a worker normally earns $15 per hour, then any hours they work over 40 that week should be paid at a rate of $22.50/hour (15 x 1.5 =22.5).
  • Tipped-wage worker errors. Another mistake that employers make is failing to pay tipped workers the wage they are owed; many employers mistakenly believe that they only need to pay tipped employees a minimum wage of $4.40/hour. This is only true if the employee makes enough in tips to make at least the state minimum wage of $8.80 per hour. If the employee makes less than this amount when accounting for tips, the employer is responsible for making up the difference.
  • Failing to pay minimum wage. Another type of wage violation is simple — failing to pay an employee the minimum wage. An employer may assume that they only have to pay an employee the federal minimum wage of $7.25/hour. This is not the case; state law supersedes federal law in this case, as the federal law merely sets a floor, not a ceiling. The minimum wage in Ohio is $8.80 per hour. There are some exceptions to this, but they are uncommon.

Remedies for Unpaid Wage Violations

The most common remedy for an unpaid wage violation is back pay — that is, compensation for all of the wages that you should have been paid, but weren’t. If you bring forth a case, you may also be able to seek compensation for legal fees and attorney costs, any other economic damages you’ve suffered, any noneconomic damages you’ve suffered, and punitive damages in some cases.

Talk to an Attorney About Your Options

At Coffman Legal, LLC, our team is ready to advocate for you. When you call our law firm, we can provide you with a free consultation and legal advice. If we decide to work together, we can investigate your case, represent you in filing your claim, help you to negotiate your settlement, and more. Call our law firm directly today for the support and guidance that you need from our legal team.

Contact Coffman Legal Today

+ =