Cleveland Employment Law Attorney
Employees throughout Cleveland have numerous rights that are protected under both state and federal laws. At the office of Coffman Legal, LLC, our experienced Cleveland employment law attorneys are passionate about representing the rights of those employees who have been victims of employment law violations. If you are in need of a Cleveland employment law attorney, call our law firm directly today.
Our Cleveland Employment Law Practice Areas
Our Cleveland employment law attorneys have experience supporting workers in various industries navigate a myriad of employment law claim types. Common types of claims that we work on include:
- Wage and hour claims. Being denied the wage that you are entitled to under the law (the minimum wage in Ohio is $8.80/hour) or overtime pay that you work for hours over 40 in a week is frustrating and illegal. Our lawyers can represent you during your wage and hour complaint.
- Discrimination claims. Discrimination is against the law. Taking many forms, discrimination might include making an adverse employment decision based on a protected characteristic (such as race or gender), harassing an employee, sexually harassing an employee, and more.
- Background checks. Job applicants may be asked to submit to a financial/credit background check, a criminal background check, or both. While an employer may be allowed to request this information, there are certain rules that an employer must adhere to when doing so.
- Employment retaliation. When an employee exercises a protected right — such as filing a discrimination claim — their employer is legally barred from retaliating. If an employer retaliates, they could face legal consequences.
- Wrongful termination. If an employee is terminated in an act of retaliation, this is illegal. Wrongful termination might also occur if an employee is retaliated against in breach of a contract, because of discrimination, or otherwise for exercising a protected right.
- Severance negotiation. Sometimes, employees are offered a severance package when they are asked to leave a place of employment against their will. It’s important that you work with an attorney to negotiate a severance package as, once you sign, you have waived other rights.
- Sexual harassment. Sexual harassment is a form of discrimination and is illegal in the workplace. Our law firm can help you to understand what constitutes sexual harassment and what to do if you are being sexually harassed at work.
- Hostile work environment. Harassment — sexual or otherwise — is illegal when it is so severe or pervasive that it creates a hostile work environment. If you are the victim of a hostile work environment, you have legal rights.
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). The FMLA provides protected, unpaid leave for employees in certain situations, including providing care for an ill family member. You cannot be retaliated against for taking legally protected leave under the FMLA.
- If you have another employment law matter that you don’t see addressed above, call our law firm. We are available to provide you with the support and legal representation you need.
Call Our Cleveland Employment Law Attorneys Today
Being impacted by a labor law violation can leave you feeling vulnerable and confused. For legal support from a professional with years of experience, call the Cleveland employment law firm — Coffman Legal, LLC. We offer free consultations and always work on a contingency fee basis.